What is a young adult carer?

There is no legal age definition for young adult carers, they are carers are transitioning from childhood into adulthood. However, most organisations recognise that young adult carers fall into an age band from 16 to 25 who care, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or a substance misuse issue.

I think I am a young adult carer - where can I go for help?

In Denbighshire, Flintshire and Wrexham you can access support from NEWCIS once you are 18. 

Barnardo’s Flintshire Services support young and young adult carers from age 5 upwards. 

And in Wrexham and Denbighshire this support is provided via Credu through the WCD team for those carers under 18.

Who are NEWCIS?

NEWCIS is the largest provider of services to unpaid carers in Wales. We provide carers services across North East Wales in Denbighshire, Flintshire and Wrexham. 

Our carers are important to us and we aim to do our very best to support them in a range of ways including delivering information, providing one to one support, access to advocacy, training and counselling and by providing a whole range of activities and events for carers to get involved with. 

We work in partnership with the Carers Trust, Big Lottery Fund and all 3 local authorities to provide the best possible service that we can.

What support can NEWCIS offer me and how do I get in touch?

  • What Matters (carers needs assessments) and Well Being Assessments 
  • Support to access training and employment 
  • Counselling
  • Training 
  • Respite 
  • Carer breaks
  • Grants
  • Volunteer opportunities
  • Monthly carer groups in all three counties
  • Social Activities and Events

You can contact us for support and information, refer someone (with their permission) or register yourself online.

You can also find us on social media! Find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn

What opportunities are there out there for me to meet other Young Adult Carers?

NEWCIS run a wide range of groups and activities, these are open to all carers open to the service across the 3 counties, however if there is enough interest we would look at running a group specifically for Young Adult Carers.

I go to college / university what support is available through them for me?

If you go and speak to your student support service at which ever college / university you attend they will be able to help. Each will do things in a slightly different way but they will help and be supportive.