Council Tax is charged on all homes and it is usually paid if you are over 18 and own or rent your home. You may be entitled to pay less Council Tax if:

  • You live in a low-income household
  • You live alone
  • You are a student
  • You are mentally impaired (including severe learning disability, dementia, stroke)
  • You are disabled
  • Your property is empty.

You could get up to a 50% Council Tax discount if you are a carer, depending on who else lives in your property. To be eligible you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Must provide care for at least 35 hours a week
  • Must live in the same property as the person you care for
  • Must not be the spouse or partner of the person you care for, or their parent if you care for a child under 18.
  • The person you care for must be getting one of the following: the middle or higher rate of the care component of Disability Living Allowance; the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment at any rate; Attendance Allowance at any rate; Armed Forces Independence Payment; or the highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance.

You do not have to claim Carer’s Allowance to qualify for this discount, and your income and savings will not affect your eligibility. If there is more than one carer at the property, you can still receive up to a 50% discount as long as you meet all of the conditions.

Someone who has left their property empty and it is no longer their main residence may also be exempt from paying council tax.  This would apply to a carer who is providing live-in personal care due to old age, disablement, illness, alcohol or drug dependence, or mental disorder.

For more information visit Beta Gov Wales

If you think you may be eligible for a council tax discount you should contact your local authority Council Tax department.

Denbighshire 01824 706000

Flintshire 01352 704848

Wrexham 01978 298992