NEWCIS' COPE (Carers Opportunity and Participation in Employment) Facilitator based in Flintshire helps to assist carers with employment/or lifelong learning, volunteering opportunities and community-based activity.

The COPE Facilitator works with carers and their communities on carer friendly initiatives that matter to the community, this may include carer training, practical advice, and support, signposting as required and ensure the carer is best placed to explore interests and opportunities.

The aim of the COPE Facilitator is to raise the profile of carers in the community, in local businesses and local leisure and travel facilities, etc.


  • To identify carers who would like to explore opportunities that they feel will examine their wellbeing and ensure they are aware of the support available in Flintshire.
  • To work with carers to develop carer friendly initiatives, letting carers take the lead in their communities and create projects that matter to them.
  • Cascade important legislation that are affecting carers to all.
  • Develop working partnerships with relevant agencies to promote and support carers.
  • Any carer friendly initiative should be developed productively with carers in Flintshire as equal partners.

Grants for Adult Learners

Adult learners can apply for grants and bursaries to help pay for courses and training. For these grants and bursaries you have to apply directly to the organisation that gives them out - please contact them using the information provided below if you wish to apply or would like further information. 

Welsh Government Learning Grant Further Education

You must be 19 or over on 1st September 2019, your course must be 'eligible' for the Welsh Government Learning Grant support (your college will be able to tell you whether your course is eligible). 


Discretionary Learner Support

If you’re aged 19 or over, on a further education course and facing financial hardship, you could get Learner Support. The money (if you qualify) can help pay for things like accommodation and travel, course materials and equipment and childcare.


Part Time Students and Benefits

For Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support, whether you are a part-time student depends on your age and the level of the course.


Full Time Students and Benefits

Most full-time students cannot claim Universal Credit, but there are some exceptions.